The finest manner to make use of up that yellow summer time squash! Squash Casserole is a good way to make use of up recent squash out of your backyard. Easy to make with a creamy, tacky filling and a crispy, buttery topping!
Is there something higher than recent backyard produce? I’ve been loving all of recent veggies this 12 months and have been making recent zucchini bread and my favourite salsa recipe like loopy. However, this Squash Casserole could be my favourite garden-borne recipe but! With a creamy, tacky base and a golden cracker prime crust, this casserole dish is crunchy and creamy and the finest technique to get your veggies!
How to Make Squash Casserole
- Start by washing and slicing your squash! Make positive all slices are the identical measurement (or as shut as potential) so your casserole will prepare dinner evenly.
- Combine squash, diced onion, and a little bit of butter in a massive saucepan and prepare dinner till the squash is simply softened.
- Combine bitter cream, cheddar and parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a big bowl then toss in your squash and onion. Stir every part effectively after which pour right into a 11×7″ pan.
- Make your topping! Stir collectively crushed crackers and a little bit of melted butter after which sprinkle over the squash combination.
- Bake till cooked by way of and topping is golden brown.
What Kind of Squash Should I take advantage of for Squash Casserole?
You will wish to use yellow squash for this recipe. I don’t advocate utilizing butternut or acorn squash.
Do I Need to Peel Squash Before I take advantage of it?
There is not any have to peel your squash earlier than making this casserole! Make positive to clean your squash effectively and you’ll want to chop off the stem, however you do not want to peel the pores and skin. It will soften because it cooks in your skillet, after which much more because the squash casserole bakes.
Can I take advantage of Zucchini Instead of Squash?
While zucchini and yellow squash aren’t at all times utterly interchangeable, you can really substitute zucchini for squash on this recipe. Your squash (effectively, zucchini) casserole will nonetheless be scrumptious, it can simply be a distinct colour!
More Great Summer Recipes to Try:
An straightforward recipe for creamy squash casserole with a buttery crisp cracker topping!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- three lbs yellow squash (sliced ¼” skinny)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- ¾ cup bitter cream
- 2 massive eggs (evenly overwhelmed)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper (to style)
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers (crushed)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a big saucepan or Dutch oven (you have to a whole lot of area so ensure that it’s massive sufficient to carry your entire squash!) soften 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium warmth.
- Add sliced squash and diced onion and prepare dinner, stirring steadily, till squash is simply softened.
- Remove from warmth and drain by way of a colander; drain as a lot extra water as potential. Let squash proceed to empty whilst you put together your filling.
- In a big bowl, stir collectively bitter cream, eggs, cheeses, garlic powder, and salt and pepper till well-combined.
- Add drained squash/onion combination and stir effectively.
- Evenly pour elements into an 11×7” baking dish and put together your topping.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter. Stir till well-combined.
- Sprinkle cracker crumbs evenly over squash combination in casserole dish.
- Transfer to 350F oven and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Serve heat. Enjoy!